Sunday, November 7, 2010

Long weekend fun day!!! Sept. 6th

This year for a change I stayed around home for the September long weekend and I managed a fun day with my Dad on the Ottawa River in Lepasse. This stretch of river is quickly becoming one of my favorite spots to fish. It is full of bays, creek channels and tons of laydowns along the main river channel. My dad is fairly new to Bass fishing but I am slowly getting him a little more comfortable with some of the techniques and tackle that are needed to tempt the big ones. On this day I used a Reaction Innovations Sweet Beaver in Black Red Neon with a 3/4 oz. weight and a 1/2 oz. Title Shot jig with a Strike King Rage Craw trailer. I fished both of these on 7' Shimano Compre MH fast action rods with Shimano Cruxis reels and 40lb P-Line Spectrex. My day is still old school and only uses spinning gear so I rigged him up with some 15lb P-Line floro clear on 6'6" spinning gear. He used a 7 inch Berkley power worm and a 5 inch Black Blue flake Senko. The weather was miserable with cold winds, rain and cloud cover but the largies were on fire. We caught at least 30 fish total with my Dad catching a 3 and a half pounder from under a tree that just about ripped the rod out of his hand and fought like no largie I have ever seen. My biggest was just over 4 lbs but I lost one at the boat that was one of the biggest largemouth I have ever had hooked. All the fish came out of 6-8 feet of water mostly off of wood but some were on the weed edges. The Sweet Beaver and the Senko were the 2 best producers and they were usually hitting them on the fall. This was one of the more fun days I have had on the water this year and I hope to fish this area more in the future. This area gets very little fishing pressure and there is very little boat traffic which makes it a very enjoyable place to fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment